About Lily Madeleine Whiteman, M.P.H., M.E.M.
A LEADING AUTHORITY ON FEDERAL CAREERS
Lily Whiteman is a:
- Federal Career Coach: Lily has helped thousands of professionals of all levels -- from recent grads to executives -- land jobs and earn promotions.
- Washington Post Contributor and Federal Times Columnist: Lily has written many articles for the “Jobs” section of The Washington Post, and her “Career Matters” column appears twice in a month in Federal Times.
Lily’s career advice has also been covered by The Wall Street Journal; US News & World Report; The New York Post; Roll Call; WUSA, News 9 (CBS) in DC; XM Satellite Radio and many other outlets.
- Savvy Insider: Lily knows the federal hiring system inside out because she has experienced it as a hiring manager, writer and career coach for over 15 years. She is currently a senior science writer at the U.S. National Science Foundation, which is a federal agency.
Lily's professional experience also includes senior level positions at five other agencies, including the White House Conference on Aging and the Vice-President's National Partnership for Reinventing Government. As an experienced job seeker herself, Lily relates to other job seekers with empathy and humor.
- Veteran of Numerous Hiring Panels: Lily has first-hand knowledge of how hiring managers think and how to win them over. She has reviewed piles and piles of job applications herself and interviewed over one hundred hiring managers about their hiring decisions; she knows what works, what doesn't and why.
- Award-Winning Communicator: Lily received three “Awards of Excellence” from the National Association of Government Communicators.
TRAINER/ SEMINAR LEADER/ CONSULTANT
Known for her living, engaging style Lily Whiteman has led dozens of workshops and seminars for many government agencies, universities, professional associations, and other organizations, including:
- Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government
- The Department of Interior University
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Wesleyan University (Connecticut)
- American University
- The U.S. Treasury Department
- The American Society for Public Administration
- The Council of Science Editors
- The U.S. Veterans Administration
- The U.S. Agency for International Development
- The U.S. Department of Justice
- The Performance Institute
- The National Communication Association
- American Women in Science
- The Federal Communicators Network
- Politics and Prose Bookstore
- American Council for Technology / Industry Advisory Council
- The Association of Career Professionals International
- The Council for Excellence in Government
- The Foundation for Education Science and Technology of South Africa
In addition, Lily has published dozens of articles in flight magazines, environmental magazines and legal publications. Her website on science communication is CrystalClearCommunication.com
- Masters in Public Health (with Distinction) from Yale University
- Masters in Environmental Management from Yale University
- B.A. in Earth Science (with Departmental Honors) from Wesleyan University (Connecticut)